Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Aubrey Jane's Arrival

Aubrey Jane has been God's surprise from day one. On April 23rd 2010 Kyle and I were getting ready to go to one of our favorite restaurants, Gabriel's, in Sedalia to celebrate my 27th birthday. I hadn't been feeling very well for a couple of days and had a sneaking suspicion. However, we hadn't been expecting that I could get pregnant because I had not returned on my medication for hyperprolactinemia since nursing Ryland. We toasted with water that night. J

On December 23rd, 2010 we had the biggest surprise of all…

I had been hoping for weeks that the Dr. would agree to induce me one week early and even sent a pleading email, but at my appointment on Monday the 20th, he explained the benefits of waiting until "baby girl" came on her own or until her due date to induce. With Gestational Diabetes, there is a risk of a big baby, but also a risk of underdeveloped lungs. We wanted to make sure she was as healthy as could be. That day the Dr. stripped my membranes hoping it might send me into labor, but I was losing hope in having a baby before Christmas. But, Kyle decided to start his vacation and we spent a couple of days together as a family. We walked the zoo with a few other brave souls in the cold on Tuesday. On Wednesday we decided to try Letterboxing for the first time and did a very short walk at Columbine Open Space south of Castle Rock. For a few days I had been having some contractions that were painless, but noticeable. At our appointment on we were advised to time painful contractions at 3-5 minutes apart for 1 minute each before heading to the hospital. So, I continued on with my daily activities. I went to Choir rehearsal on Wednesday night and enjoyed seeing all my friends and worshipping. I joked about singing with them on Christmas Eve, because I was sure this baby was never going to come. I was sure I would have to wait until our planned induction on Sunday, the 26th. When I got home from Choir, Kyle's best friend Andy came over for a little while since he was only going to be in town for a couple of days. We ended up staying up until 1 am talking and catching up on life with each other. Andy was sure that baby girl would make her debut on the 23rd, Adelyn's birthday. I just rolled my eyes… this baby was NEVER going to come!

At around 4:15 am I woke up to a painful contraction. I went to the bathroom and then decided to start timing them, just in case this was the big moment. Thanks to my handy dandy phone app, I know I started timing contractions at 4:21am and timed the last one at 4:38am before waking Kyle up. We then took very quick showers, and I remember joking with Kyle to "make it snappy!" But, I wasn't really feeling like it was an emergency. Kyle began making phone calls at that point. He called our next door neighbors, Joel and Jenny, who had so graciously agreed to be on duty if it were to happen in the middle of the night to come over until one of the grandmas could get here. At 4:53 am I called my sister, Stephanie, to tell her it was baby time, so get ready and meet us at the hospital. She remembers asking if I thought she had time to take a shower and stuff and I thought of course she did! I had a contraction while on the phone with her and had to take a break talking, but was sort of like "well, anyway, meet us there when you can!" Then at 4:56, as Kyle was frantically knocking on the neighbors door (since they did not hear their phones) I called my mom and told her to come down. Of course she wanted details, and I told her I was having painful contractions about 3-5 minutes apart, and it was time! But I was not panicking I just knew it was time! Joel, who answered door, threw on some clothes and came running over. We jumped in the car, throwing in any last minute items, and were on the road. About that time, Kyle called his mom to come down as arranged to watch Ryland. She said she would be on her way as soon as possible. I texted my best friend Karin at 5:00 sharp to tell her we were heading to the hospital and I remember vividly that we had just gotten on I-25 at Founders Parkway. I also updated my Facebook status at 5:07 while sailing up the highway. I joked that being induced is way better. We both remember passing Sky Ridge, neither of us mentioning to each other, but wishing we could stop there. I was having contractions, fairly regularly, but I also remember asking if it was okay that I stopped timing them. Soon, the contractions were very intense, and I was needing to breathe through them. At some point, I even remember wondering if I would have time for an epidural, and wondering how on earth I was going to sit still for that.

I decided to turn on the radio to try to get my mind on something else. My most favorite song came on at that very moment, "To Know You" by Casting Crowns. I have had this as sort of a theme song for the last year or so. With everything we went through trying to sell the house, and processing the last days of my beautiful Aunt Jane, and everything I had been learning about God. The phrase "God is Good, and God is Enough" had become something I was clinging to daily, as God revealed himself to me on a daily basis through his provision, comfort and strength. The Lord was reaching down with the song to remind me that He was there and He was enough.

Click on this link to hear the song. Casting Crowns "To Know You"

Kyle was going VERY fast on I-25 and I kept saying "Don't get pulled over, or we will be screwed!" but, he kept on getting faster and faster. We even had a BMW trying to race us. Kyle says, the BMW lost, by the way. At about I-25 and Downing, my water broke. First a small amount but on the next contraction it gushed. I told Kyle and he said, "Well, that's just great!" knowing that this baby was coming. (Since, Adelyn was born within 30 minutes of my water breaking, and Ryland within 10 minutes.) But, like anyone would, we continued trying to get there. When we got off the highway at downing we both noticed the sign for Porter hospital and considered it, but still thought it would be better since we knew where we were going to get to St. Joes. But now, Kyle was running red lights on Downing and going much faster than he should've been. I had a very hard contraction, and Kyle asked if I was okay. I really couldn't answer because it was so intense. He looked over and saw me pulling down my pants and said, "What's going on?" I was so in the zone, that I couldn't even process and get the words out myself. "Is the baby coming?" He asked, just in time to see me scoop her up with my hands and place her, crying, on my chest. What happened during that contraction was so supernatural I'm not even sure I can explain it. I knew she was coming, and that I couldn't stop it. First I felt her head, and my body just pushed her body out. The second she started crying I knew she was okay. I felt so incredibly calm, and really not scared at all. I didn't have time to be scared, and I was comforted that the Lord was with us, guiding us. Kyle said "Oh my goodness! What should I do?" To which I responded calmly, "Pull over and call 911". We pulled over at 4th and Downing.



We are waiting to receive a recording of the 911 call, but from what we can recall it went something like this:
911: What’s your emergency?
Kyle: My wife just had a baby in the car.
911:Where are you?
Kyle: Just north of 4th on Downing Street.
911: Is the baby breathing?
Kyle: Yes.
911: Did the baby cry?
Kyle: Yes.
911: Find something to wipe off the baby’s mouth and nose, and to wrap it up in.
Kyle jumped in the back seat and found a fleece jacket of Ryland’s and a blanket that Adelyn had brought in the car a couple nights before when we had gone out to look at Christmas lights. We wiped off her mouth and nose and I wrapped her up.
I remember Kyle telling me to cover her head but not her face. At some point they asked if it was a boy or a girl and I remember double checking and being somewhat relieved that she was still a girl.
911: Now find a shoelace.
Kyle quickly jumped out of the car and took the lace right out of his own shoe, which it was a good thing he had laces on!
Kyle: Okay, I’ve got it now what?
911: Now tie off the umbilical cord at least 6 inches from the baby.

He did that, jumped back in and started blasting the heat to keep us warm, (which I had on cool air before because I was feeling hot from being in labor!) and asked if they knew how far the trucks were. About that time they pulled up behind us.

The fire truck arrived first, and the fire fighters jumped in the car to help us. They held oxygen near Aubrey's face and suctioned her mouth and nose. Soon the ambulance arrived and since Aubrey was still attached to me via umbilical cord, I held her and they helped me out of the car on to the gurney. I was slightly embarrassed and joked later about having to fully moon all the cute firefighters. They put us in the ambulance and started an IV on me and put a warmer on Aubrey. They officially clamped off the cord and Kyle got to cut the cord with a scalpel. We took the very short ride to the hospital (about 4-5 minutes). Kyle followed behind us in the now very mess van, and called Steph. She was a few minutes behind us, and she didn't believe him. The only way he could convince her of what really happened was by telling her Aubrey's name. As she was driving she had been praying for us. When we looked back at cell phone logs, Steph called me to check on me the very minute Aubrey was born, 5:25am. Kyle is pretty sure that she was actually born at Spear and Downing, which is over Cherry Creek… so, Aubrey was born "in a van, down by the river." J

We went through the emergency room, straight up to Labor and Delivery. The nurses and Doctors took care of us from there. Aubrey got cleaned up and warmed up, weighed and measured. She was a little cold, and it took a few minutes for her to warm up. But, soon, we were able to hold her and feed her. She was just perfect. The Dr. checked me out and delivered the placenta, but I was soon feeling a step up from pregnancy! J


Kyle told me in the midst of all of this that the news had been at the scene. We decided to turn it on to channel 7 and probably saw the first airing of the footage. I began to cry, as I couldn't believe that had just happened to me, and I was grateful that we were all fine. It was really quite crazy seeing ourselves on the news, and Kyle even heard himself on the radio on the way to get cell phone chargers, and a new pair of shoelaces.

Through all of this, we know that the Lord was glorified, and trust that His purpose in it all will be or has been fulfilled. In my heart I know that God is good, and God is enough.

1 Peter 2:2-3

Like newborn babies, crave spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.


2 comments:

  1. Shannon & Kyle, so great to hear your story of what happened. Sounds like you had it under control and were calm. So excited for you guys! "Born in a van, down by the river" love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to type all of this out. I was seriously cracking up about the van down by the river comment. Praise God for his protection over all of you. What a beautiful story. To God be all the glory! Welcome Aubrey Jane!!! Can't wait to see you on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete